Sunday, August 3, 2008

YUM-O

If Rachel Ray tasted Gary's sweet and sour chicken, she would defiantly say YUM-O!! He got this great recipe from his wonderful mother!! He made it for us tonight and so I decided to share the recipe. So here we go.

(It is kinda a funny story on why he is cooking alone. We defrosted some chicken and at the last minute we decided we didn't want what we had originally planned for dinner. So we played some cards to decide who got to choose what we had for dinner. Well guess what, I won!!! So I had him make this wonderful chicken. It's a good thing he likes to cook and that he is good at it!) Okay back to the recipe.

First you heat up a generous amount of oil. Also preheat your oven to 350. While oil and oven are heating you start by cutting your chicken up into slices...

Than you roll them in corn starch, but Gary likes to make it easy by putting them into a zip lock bag and shaking them all up.


Than you dip them in beaten eggs that have been salted and peppered. (If needed to stretch out egg mixture, buttermilk can be added. Just depends on your egg supply. That may have happened to us.)

You fry your chicken until golden brown and then place them in a baking dish.


At this time make your sauce. It includes:
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
3/4 cup chicken broth
2 Tbl soy sauce.

Mix and pour over fried chicken. Sauce is runny at this time but does setup as it cooks and cools.

Cook at 350 for 45 minutes, turning once during baking. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes.

Enjoy this recipe. Gary and I do very much! Isn't he a great cook!!!

Regie and I enjoyed watching Daddy cook while we played around with each other.


Notice the little curls that she is getting.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Adele said...

Ok, I have almost this exact recipe and I LOVE IT!! I always add like frozen brocolli or carrots or some other vegetable to it for the last 1/2 hour of baking- I just love the veggies in there with it. Mmmm... this makes me really want to make this recipe...

August 4, 2008 at 7:28 AM  
Blogger Jensen Family said...

I have tasted this recipe of Gary's and it is AMAZING!! He is such a good cook. Be thankful you have a husband that enjoys cooking too.

August 4, 2008 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I'm going to totally try it out this week.

August 4, 2008 at 5:31 PM  
Blogger Stephens Family said...

I just made sweet & sour the other night. Your recipe sounds so much easier. Do you know how to make the fried rice with it? My neighbor (who lived in china for awhile) showed me how. It's yummy!

August 4, 2008 at 6:21 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

I am making this right now!! its in the oven waiting for its turn!! Thank you so much for posting this. I will let you know if we like it!

August 5, 2008 at 5:34 PM  
Blogger Andrea Hardman said...

I can't wait to try it and to Stephens family, I want to know how to make the rice. If you do a post on it, please tell me! hardmanfamilyblog@blogger.com
Amber, that little girl of yours is to die for cute!

August 5, 2008 at 8:02 PM  
Blogger Sandy N said...

I also want to try this recipe. I think I will try it out this week. Yum-o is right. Thanks Amber for sharing And Gary too! :)

August 5, 2008 at 9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary you are the best! We made this receipe tonight and it is amazing, I was craving it since I saw Amber's blog. Love ya! Debbie & Dakota loved it too...

August 7, 2008 at 8:09 PM  
Blogger Babydoll said...

I will definitely have to try that. It looks yummy and sounds yummy. Maybe I will get MY hubby to make it!

August 8, 2008 at 9:54 AM  
Blogger gizcallyomom said...

I'm SO glad you posted this! It sounds so easy!

August 9, 2008 at 10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home